NEw York Mold
Mold NEw York

 Tenant Screening | Landlord Forms | Join
Real Estate School
RentLaw on Linkedin

Mold in New  York Housing

Before any cleaning work is done the leak has to be stopped which is, of course, the landlord's responsibility.  If this fails to get immediate action, follow the steps you would take with any serious repair problem:

To report a mold problem in your apartment or common building areas, call the New York City Dept of Health at 311 (or directly to the DOH’s Office of Environmental Investigations at 212-442-3372.) Also report mold and any chronic leaks from pipes, improperly working drains, or roof leaks, to the NYC Dept. Of Housing, Preservation and Development, Central Complaint at 311. See more New York Contact Numbers.

You should treat mold as you would any serious repair problem.  Write a letter to the landlord describing the problem and the steps you have taken to get the problem fixed. (In other words, if you spoke to the super and showed him the mold, include that in your letter.) Be sure to date the letter, keep a copy and send it to the landlord either by certified mail or with a receipt of mailing.  You can include the letter with the rent check if it is close to the time you are paying the rent.  Share with the landlord information about mold (see below) so the clean up is properly done. 

If the landlord fails to act promptly, you can take the landlord to court in an HP Action, file a complaint with the DHCR (complain about reduction in services and ask for a rent reduction – get the forms by calling 718-739-6400 or at and/or continue filing complaints by phone with both the city’s housing department and health department. Get advice from Metropolitan Council on Housing  or another housing group if you want to take the landlord to court. Take pictures of the mold and the leak condition.  If the mold growth was caused by the landlord’s negligence, and has made part of your apartment unusable, or destroyed your personal property you might be able to get an abatement on the rent or money from small claims court for your destroyed belongings.  If you hire a mold specialist to inspect your apartment or to do abatement work, keep all the receipts.  If you or other household members feel that the mold is affecting your health, seek medical help and keep a record of what the doctor says and any medical bills you have to pay because of the problem.  You might be able to get compensated for your expenses by negotiating with the landlord (or suing if that fails).  

If you think the problem is building-wide and get them involved in as a group to pressure the landlord. Keep in mind that the landlord’s insurance company will want to know about these problems as well. 

How do I get rid of mold? It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust.  The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present.  Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors.  If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem.  If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

Use the search box to find more mold information or a service in your area. Example: Texas Mold Removal or New Jersey Mold

The goal of remediation is to remove or clean contaminated materials in a way that prevents the emission of fungi and dust contaminated with fungi from leaving a work area and entering an occupied or non-abatement area, while protecting the health of workers performing the abatement.

Portions of this
  information and advice  was collected from the following agencies – contact them for more information or assistance:  

  • The New York City Department of Health can provide information about the health effects of mold exposure and information about the safe removal of mold. 

  • New York City Department of Health, Office of Environmental Investigations at (212) 442-3372 or the Environmental and Occupational Disease Epidemiology Unit at (212) 788-4290.