Evictions Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Evictions

Tenant Screening | Join RentLaw.com


State Laws

Normal Wear Tear
Security Deposit
Breaking a Lease

Tenant Screening
Landlord Tenant Forms
Landlord Tenant Statutes
Mold Guide
Section 8
Housing Vouchers

HUD - Housing & Urban Development
Rent Collection
Credit Reports
Small Claims Courts
Rent Control
Landlord Books
Lead Paint Guide
Military Lease Clause
Credit Center

Free Legal Forms
Apartment Ratings
Moving Guides 
Apartment Search
Rent or Buy
Home Inspection
Tax Deductions
Lawyer Search
Home Loans - Bad Credit
Commercial Real Estate
Property Management

Commercial Introduction

Commercial Real Estate Terms

1031 Exchange

Limited Liability Co
Real Estate Trusts
Real Estate School
Contact Rentlaw.com
RentLaw on Linkedin


Can I stop an eviction by catching up on my rent?  If the eviction case was only for nonpayment of rent and was brought before a Magisterial District Justice, you may stop the eviction any time before you are actually evicted by paying the amount the district justice ordered, including court costs. This is called the right to pay and stay. Note that the court costs go up if the landlord requests an Order for Possession, so it is best to pay as soon as possible.

Can my landlord just lock me out without going to court? No. Many Pennsylvania courts have said your landlord cannot evict you by self-help, meaning such things as padlocking your door, shutting off your utilities, using force to evict you, or using any eviction method other than going to court.

Where can I get help to avoid eviction because I owe rent? Your local county assistance office may have emergency shelter assistance for people who need help paying their rent or paying a security deposit for a new place to live. Many churches and community agencies also may be able to help.

If you are having trouble finding a decent, affordable place to live, consider applying for subsidized housing with your local Housing Authority.

Do these eviction rules apply to all tenants?  These rules do not always apply if a tenant is being evicted because of drug-related criminal activity in the household. In those cases, the landlord is not required to give the tenant a written notice before filing the eviction case, and the case can be filed in Common Pleas Court rather than with a Magisterial District Justice.

Some of the eviction rules are different for nonresidential leases. Different rules also apply in other areas such as Philadelphia County.

The law also provides greater rights to tenants in public and subsidized housing and to owners of mobile homes who rent space in mobile home parks. See separate brochures on those rights, or check with your local Legal Services office.

Also contact the following agencies for additional help:
(800) 322-7572

Neighborhood Legal Services Association (NLSA) is a private, nonprofit corporation which provides legal services for poor and vulnerable individuals in southwestern Pennsylvania


This public Information was obtained from a  pamphlet edited by Neighborhood Legal Services Association and produced by Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network, Inc. along with comments and notes from Rentlaw.com.

Disclaimer: The law is constantly changing and there may be times when the information on this web site will not be current. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. This information is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney.


Renters Insurance
Apartment Condo Home





No Inspection

Criminal & Credit Report, Sex Offender and more

Tenant Screening RentLaw.com